Tue 27 July 2021

Your Local Area

Enter your postcode to find Neighbourhood Watch schemes and crime statistics for your area

Eastbourne Police Weekly News and Alerts

Alert message sent 18/06/2021 08:47:00

Information sent on behalf of Sussex Police


Friday 18th June June 2021

Eastbourne Police weekly News and Alerts



Man jailed for throwing corrosive substance at two people in Eastbourne

A man has been jailed after being found guilty of throwing a corrosive substance at two people in Eastbourne.

Frank Graham, 39, unemployed, of Upperton Road, Eastbourne, was sentenced to six years’ imprisonment when he appeared at Lewes Crown Court on Friday (June 11).

He had been found guilty by a jury of two counts of throwing a corrosive fluid with intent to burn / maim / disable / disfigure / do grievous bodily harm. He also pleaded guilty to possession of a Class A drug and possession of a Class B drug.

Graham had been arrested on the evening of August 29, 2020 after police had been called to a collision in St Anne’s Road earlier that day.

Witnesses reported seeing a Renault Megane being driven by Graham crash into parked vehicles shortly before 9am, before flipping onto its roof.

As a member of the public approached the car to see if the driver needed help, Graham told him not to phone the police and attempted to leave the scene.

The member of the public tried to stop him leaving, and a second passer-by also approached to help. Graham was then seen to unscrew the lid of a bottle and throw a liquid over both men before running from the scene.

An off-duty nurse came to the aid of the victims by rinsing them with water and providing a change of clothes, and both were thankfully left with no serious lasting injuries.

Officers carried out an extensive search for Graham during the day, but with no trace. Police on patrol later saw and arrested him that evening.

He was found in possession of cannabis and a search of his home address later uncovered a quantity of cocaine. A bottle cap recovered from the scene was also forensically linked to Graham.

Graham was charged and stood trial on May 6, 2021. He was found not guilty of aggravated vehicle taking, but guilty of the other charges.

He was jailed for six years, with a further two years to be served on extended licence.

DC Fareed Camar, of Eastbourne CID, said: “This was a horrendous crime in which two people who were simply trying to help, were attacked with a corrosive substance.
“Although it is lucky they didn’t suffer more serious physical injuries, there will be a lasting emotional impact as a result of what happened.

“Frank Graham didn’t care about how much harm he caused, and I am pleased to see the severity of the offence reflected in his sentence.”


 

Witness appeal to fail to stop collision in Eastbourne area

Police are appealing for witnesses after a damaged vehicle was seen driving dangerously in the Eastbourne and Polegate area.

Police received reports of a vehicle driving dangerously around Eastbourne and Polegate around 12pm on Friday (11 June).

The vehicle collided with a car in Broadwater Way, Eastbourne at 12.34pm and failed to stop at the scene.

The victim suffered a minor injury and was taken to hospital for treatment.

The suspect vehicle is described as a dark coloured BMW.

It may also have been driving around the Brighton area around 11am.

Anyone who witnessed what happened, or who has information that may assist with enquiries is urged to report online or call 101, quoting CAD 575 of 11/06.


 

ASB Operation Blitz Patrols this weekend

Call 07785 372050 between 1800-0000 each Friday and Saturday if you witness, or are victim to anti-social behaviour (ASB), and report directly to officers on the ground, out targeting areas of known and reported ASB. 

This can include ASB behaviour as well as ASB driving that you witness.

This number does not change each week, keep a note of it if you need to contact us.

Outside of these times please continue to report anti-social behaviour to us online, or by calling 101, or remember always call 999 in an emergency.


 

Police made 20 arrests in the first three days of a summer crackdown on drink and drug-drivers

The month-long campaign kicked off on Friday 11 June in conjunction with Euro 2020, and is being run in addition to our routine roads policing activity 365 days a year.

Through education, engagement and enforcement, our aim is to reduce the number of casualties and to deal robustly with offenders, who make up the minority of road users.

As part of the operation, officers from Sussex Police and the Sussex Safer Roads Partnership worked together to provide proactive patrols across the county over the weekend of Saturday 12 and Sunday 13 June.

In addition to the 20 people arrested for drink and drug-driving, police also recorded more than 600 offences including speeding, driving with no MOT, illegal number plates and not wearing a seatbelt.

This could not have been achieved without the help of our dedicated Community SpeedWatch volunteers, who give up their own time to help keep their communities safe.

Chief Inspector Michael Hodder, of the Surrey and Sussex Roads Policing Unit, said: “Our aim is to reduce the possibility of people being injured or killed through collisions whereby the driver has been under the influence of drink or drugs.

“However, we cannot do this on our own. I need your help to take responsibility for your own actions and the actions of others – do not drive if you are going to drink or use drugs, as the consequences can be fatal for yourself or an innocent member of the public.

“And if you suspect someone is driving under the influence of drink or drugs, report it to us immediately – you could save a life.

“We all know that drinking or using drugs whilst driving is not only dangerous, but socially unacceptable, and my plea is that we work together to protect everyone on the roads from harm.

“There are a lot of miles to cover across Surrey and Sussex, and while we may not be everywhere all the time, we could be anywhere.”

Sussex Police and Crime Commissioner Katy Bourne said: “I know that road safety continues to be a top priority for Sussex residents. I’ve held 32 focus groups over the last month and nearly all in attendance have told me that one of their biggest concern is antisocial and dangerous driving.

“I am always dismayed by the number of people who choose to get behind the wheel of their vehicle when they are under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs. This is not just inconsiderate, it’s totally irresponsible. Those who kill or seriously injure others when over the limit should be in no doubt that they will face the legal and social consequences of their actions.

“With football season in full swing and sunny summer weather to enjoy, we must make sure that we are taking responsibility for our actions when out socialising. The message is clear: drink or drive; don’t take the risk and do both, even if you have had ‘only one drink’.”

The dedicated campaign runs from Friday 11 June to Sunday 11 July, and is in addition to routine roads policing 365 days a year.

In keeping with previous campaigns, the identities of anyone arrested for drink or drug-driving during this period and subsequently convicted, will be published on our website and social media channels.

Chief Insp Hodder added: “We hope that by maximising publication of this campaign, people will think twice about their actions. We appreciate that the vast majority of motorists are safe and competent road users, but there is always a minority who ignore our advice and risk lives.

“Our advice to everyone – whether you’re watching the football or socialising with friends or family this summer – is to drink or drive; never both. Alcohol affects different people in different ways, and the only way to guarantee you are safe to drive is to have no alcohol at all.

Even one pint of beer, or one glass of wine, can be enough to put you over the limit and significantly impair your ability to drive safely.

“Think about it before you get behind the wheel. Don’t let your next journey be your last.”

Between April 2020 and March 2021, 291 people casualties were involved in a drink or drug-driving related collision in Sussex; three of these were fatal.

Between April 2020 and March 2021, 212 people casualties were involved in a drink or drug-driving related collision in Surrey; two of these were fatal.

During the same period, a total of 1,185 arrests were made for drink-driving in Sussex, and a further 1,135 for drug-driving.

The consequences of drink or drug-driving could include the following:
  • A minimum 12 month ban;
  • An unlimited fine;
  • A possible prison sentence;
  • A criminal record, which could affect your current and future employment;
  • An increase in your car insurance;
  • Trouble travelling to countries such as the USA;
  • You could also kill or seriously injure yourself or someone else.

People in Sussex can text officers on 65999 with the details of people they suspect of drink or drug-driving, or visit the Operation Crackdown website

You can also contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or report it online

If you know someone is driving while over the limit or after taking drugs, call 999.


 

Burglary Advice

Members of the public and business owners are asked to remain alert to any suspicious activity in their area, and to report any concerns to police online or by calling 101. Always dial 999 in an emergency.

There are a number of steps residents can take to property their property, including alarm systems and CCTV cameras, for a range of crime prevention advice, support and tips to keep you and your property safe click here.

If you have been the victim of a burglary, please report online, or by calling 101 – always dial 999 in an emergency/burglary in action.
                                                                                        

 

Action Fraud scam watch

Did you know scams cost the UK economy £5-£10 Billion a year, with over 50% of people over 65 having already been targeted by scams; and only 5% of all scams reported?

Action Fraud’s top tips

Although fraud and cybercrime comes in many forms, there are some simple steps you can take to protect yourself.

Follow Action Frauds’ personal safety checklist to keep you and those around you safe from fraud, including the latest advice around remaining vigilant against ticket fraud, as lockdown restrictions begin to ease here.



Help us keep Sussex safe

If you saw or heard anything, or have any information about any incident in this message please contact us online, or call 101, quoting the reference number provided.

Alternatively you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111, or online at www.crimestoppers-uk.org

You can also visit our website at www.sussex.police.uk where you can find our easy to use online forms to report all non-emergencies to us.

You can also find police advice to keep you safe and help you understand the law, and also browse our crime prevention pages for first-hand knowledge, industry best practices and practical crime prevention advice from officers and specialist teams all across the police.

Have you ever had a policing question that doesn't actually require direct police involvement to answer?

Ask the Police is a great online source of information for the most frequently asked policing questions, visit www.askthe.police.uk/ for more information.


 


Your local teams

You can find now find details of your local PCSO and your local Neighbourhood Policing Teams here.

Follow your local Police team on social media, click below:
 
Facebook

Twitter 


 
Message sent by
Eastbourne, Lewes and Wealden team (Police, Prevention team, Sussex)

Message tag words

Back to previous page
Click here to tweet this message to your followers

Discuss this alert message

Please see terms below before using this feature
Please be aware that the facility above is a Facebook service, posting your views will make some of your Facebook information visible to everyone (as with any Facebook activity).

The system administrators (VISAV Limited) monitor the content added. Any misuse or objectionable material should be reported to support@neighbourhoodalert.co.uk.

The views expressed do not represent the views of the system administrators who are VISAV Limited, the Police, Neighbourhood Watch and other Information Provider using this service.