Vehicle Crime has been reported in your neighbourhood
If you saw or heard anything, or have any information about the below incident please contact us online, email us at email@example.com or call 101, quoting the reference number provided.
Alternatively you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111, or online at www.crimestoppers-uk.org
Friday 26th January, 2018
Please be aware that there has been a spate of vehicle crime on East Brighton over the last few weeks, in particular thefts from vans where tools were stolen.
The local policing team are talking to residents to try and identify those responsible.
We have increased patrols in the area but ask that residents are extra vigilant and report any suspicious activity at the time. We rely on the community to be our eyes and ears and can only crack this problem by working together.
Please consider taking the following crime prevention advice to ensure you are not the next victim:
1) Make sure you have locked and secured your vehicle even if it is parked on your drive
2) Remove everything from the car; don't even leave a jacket where it can be seen
3) Close the sunroof along with the windows when you leave
4) Do not store valuable things in the boot; take them with you
5) Store the car ownership information in your home, not your car
6) Never leave your keys in the vehicle, even if you are just leaving it for a few seconds
7) Take out removable stereos and sat nav equipment with you
8) In addition, using secure (theft resistant) number plates can make your plates less attractive to thieves
Additional advice for van owners:
1) If you are staying in a hotel, where possible remove your tools from your van and keep them in your room overnight
2) If you have a garage, use it. If your van is parked on a driveway, consider installing security lighting
3) Consider alarming the vehicle or fitting an internal security cage when tools and equipment are not being used, ensure they are kept securely in a lockable store rather than in your vehicle.
4) Visibly mark your machinery and tools using an engraving or chemical etching kit or use a forensic marking kit. Place a sticker in your window to say you have done so - the signage alone, can be a very effective deterrent.
5) Keep a list of tools, together with serial numbers and any identifying marks. You can do this at www.immobilise.com. This will help to trace them back to you if they are recovered.
To report an emergency including any crimes in progress please dial 999
To report non-emergency crime dial 101 or report it online
Prevention Support Team
Visit our Website for crime prevention advice
Links and attachments: Sussex Police will only ever link you to secure web-sites we trust. We will only send you attachments where we believe it is absolutely necessary.