Enter your postcode to find Neighbourhood Watch schemes and crime statistics for your area
Thursday 8th July - In The Know
Alert message sent 08/07/2021 13:19:00
Information sent on behalf of Sussex Police
Thursday, 8th July 2021
News and appeals
Daniel Curtis sentenced for sex assaults on woman in Hove
Following a Sussex Police investigation, a man has been given an eight-year prison sentence having admitted a series of sexual offences against an 18-year old woman in Hove after images were found on an electronic device.
Daniel Curtis, 39, of Goldstone Way, Hove, was sentenced at Hove Crown Court on Friday 2 July after pleading guilty at an earlier hearing to three counts of rape, seven counts of sexual assault by touching and one count of causing a person to engage in sexual activity without their consent.
He will be a registered sex offender indefinitely and was also given a Sexual Harm Prevention Order to last until further court order, severely restricting his access to women and communications devices.
Detective Constable Paul Candy of the Brighton and Hove Safeguarding Investigations Unit said; "We began an investigation as soon is this report was received and the extent of Curtis's offending soon became clear. The evidence we presented gave him little option but to admit what had happened, which at least avoided the trauma for the victim of having to give evidence in court.
"We always follow up any such reports with a thorough investigation to establish the full circumstances and help seek justice for victims whenever possible.
"If you or anyone you know are victim of such offending, contact us in confidence on 101 and arrange to talk to experienced investigators.
"We can also arrange expert support and access to sources of further advice."
For further information on help available for victims of sexual offending see the Sussex Police website - https://www.sussex.police.uk/advice/advice-and-information/rsa/rape-and-sexual-assault/how-to-report-rape-and-sexual-assault/
Man charged following discovery of cannabis factory in Portslade
A man has been arrested and charged following the discovery of a cannabis factory in Portslade.
Following information received expressing suspicion about activity at the house, officers supported by the Tactical Enforcement Unit entered the mid-terraced property in Norway Street on Friday morning (July 2). There they discovered that five rooms had been converted to cultivate around 150 plants.
Klaudio Kiosia, 24, unemployed, of Norway Street, Portslade, was charged with producing a controlled drug of Class B - cannabis. He was remanded in custody to appear at Brighton Magistrates' Court on Saturday (July 3).
Superintendent Rachel Swinney said: "This cannabis factory was discovered as a result of information from the public. I wish to thank those members of the community for playing their part in tackling drugs supply in the city.
"Cannabis factories are often linked to the exploitation of vulnerable individuals and they can also pose a fire risk to neighbouring properties. If you have concerns about drug production or dealing in your area, please contact us online or by calling 101."
Cyclist killed in collision with parked car in Brighton
Police are appealing for witnesses after a cyclist was involved in a collision with a parked car in Manor Hill, Brighton at about 5.15pm on Thursday, June 3.
The cyclist, a 66-year-old local man was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton with serious injuries, but sadly passed away on Saturday (June 26).
Police would like to speak to anyone who saw the collision or stopped and assisted at the scene. Please email email@example.com.
George Burbidge, from Brighton, arrested and charged
George Burbidge, who was sought by police in Brighton, has been arrested.
The 23-year-old man was found in the city on Wednesday (June 30), and arrested on suspicion of escaping from lawful custody.
Burbidge, unemployed and of no fixed address, has since been charged with the offence and appeared before Brighton Magistrates’ Court on Thursday July 1.
He has been remanded in custody to next appear before the court on July 29.
Crime summary Burglaries – Dwelling
Reference: 0105 2nd July 2021
Location: Tisbury Road, Hove
Date and time: 2nd July 2021 01:15
Details: Suspect has forced rear patio wooden doors open. Numerous items were taken.
Burglaries – Non Dwelling
Reference: 0177 5/6 July 2021
Location: Falmer, Brighton
Date: 5th/6th July 2021 16:00-07:00
Details: Unknown persons kicked door in – nothing stolen
Reference: 0343 7th July 2021
Location: North Street, Brighton
Date and time: 7th July 2021 04:00
Details: Suspect has smashed shop window open. Cash, safe, mobile phones and laptops stolen.
High-visibility foot patrols were performed in New Road, The Level, at the i360, Brighton Beach and Seafront.
Our Speed Prevention teams were busy attending Mile Oak Road in Brighton and Davigdor Road and other locations within Hove.
After reports of Anti-Social Behaviour in the area, officers visited the i360, Elm Grove and the Lower Promenade.
If you see our officers out and about, don’t be shy, give them a wave and say hello!
Help us keep Sussex safe
If you saw or heard anything, or have any information about any incident in this message please contact us online, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 101, quoting the reference number provided.
Alternatively you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111, or online at www.crimestoppers-uk.org
Links and attachments: Sussex Police will only ever link you to secure Websites we trust. We will only send you attachments where we believe it is absolutely necessary.
Message sent by
Brighton & Hove (Police, District Engagement Officer, Brighton & Hove)