Enter your postcode to find Neighbourhood Watch schemes and crime statistics for your area
Eastbourne Weekly Update
Alert message sent 26/11/2020 12:01:00
Information sent on behalf of Sussex Police
Thursday, 26 November 2020
News and appeals
Sussex Police encourages business security in the midst of the second national lockdown
Sussex Police have been urging businesses to think about increasing their security and taking burglary crime prevention advice during the second national lockdown.
Sussex remains one of the least likely places to be burgled in the country, and our rate for solving these crimes is increasing, which is great news for communities. A campaign was launched earlier this month to help equip business owners with the knowledge on how to practically secure and protect their shop or commercial property while it is closed due to the Covid-19 lockdown and to prevent themselves from becoming victims of burglary.
Sussex Police is continuing to show its commitment to bring offenders to justice for burglary and has had these recent successes:
Ashley Symes was recently caught on CCTV, burgling a property in Climping at the beginning of August. He had entered via the backdoor and later identified correctly. He was charged with burglary offences, and after pleading guilty, he received a 29 month prison sentence
Anthony Morgan was arrested for burglaries occurring at the end of July. He was a prolific burglar who committed these offences in order to fund a drug habit, and once he was arrested and charged after a full admission to the offences, he also admitted a further three burglaries and one count of criminal damage. At court, he was jailed for four years and eight months.
Jack Heslip was arrested and charged with seven burglaries in the East Grinstead area in September. He has been remanded in custody awaiting sentencing for the offences.
Paul Tulley was arrested and charged with burglary at the beginning of November after a resident was woken up by a man who had broken into his home. The intruder ran off but he was later detained. Tulley has been remanded in custody by the court and he was awaiting a further court appearance.
Detective Chief Inspector Alasdair Henry said: "We are seeing some fantastic results recently for burglary crimes, and I hope this goes a long way to reassuring Sussex residents that we take this type of law-breaking very seriously in the county. We are really keen that business owners now bolster their security in light of the second lockdown, and we have a great wealth of information on how to do this on our website. We know that extra security can eat into profits, but sometimes it is a small price to pay to guarantee the safety of your livelihood."
Sussex Police and Crime Commissioner Katy Bourne said: "I am pleased to see Sussex Police being so proactive in their approach to tackling burglary and safeguarding our local businesses. This has been a particularly challenging time for our high streets and it’s encouraging for residents to see officers solving these crimes, making arrests and robustly reprimanding burglars. Sussex Police are sharing ways in which we can make our premises safer during this second lockdown period. I’m urging residents and business owners to heed this advice."
We have a range of resources and information on the Sussex Police website, which includes details of monitored alarms, CCTV and other crime prevention advice.
If you see a crime in action call 999 or if you have any information about a crime, report online or call 101.
Witnesses sought to Eastbourne car crash
Police are appealing for witnesses after a car that had been reported stolen collided with a tree in Eastbourne
At 4.27am on Sunday 22 November a white Mercedes E350 saloon car which had been reported stolen in Eastbourne earlier during the night, left the road and collided with a tree and a telegraph pole in Kings Drive, Eastbourne. The three men in the car were arrested on suspicion of being involved in the theft of the vehicle, and were all taken to hospital for treatment. Two have minor injuries and one has serious face and arm injuries which are not assessed as life threatening.
No other person or vehicle was involved in the collision.
The IOPC have been informed as a matter of standard policy as a police unit had seen the car just beforehand and was in the immediate vicinity at the time of the crash.
Anyone who saw the crash or the Mercedes, which had come from Eastbourne town centre, beforehand, is asked to contact Sussex Police via firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 101, quoting Operation Interval.
Operation Sceptre - 34 arrests made and 589 weapons seized in knife crime campaign
Sussex Police made a total of 34 arrests and removed 589 weapons from public circulation during Operation Sceptre week of action on knife crime.
Between November 9 and 15, Sussex Police joined other forces across the country to raise awareness of knife crime as part of the campaign through targeted operations, educational work with schools, patrols, weapons sweeps, knife amnesty bins and test purchasing activities.
Arrests for offences including knife possession, weapon manufacturing, robbery and possession of drugs with intent to supply were made as part of proactive work carried out during the week. Eight of the 34 arrests were knife related.
Due to coronavirus restrictions officers were unable to attend schools to talk about knife crime with students and instead held virtual assemblies across the region.
Throughout the week members of the public were able to dispose of knives and bladed articles in our knife amnesty bins placed at police stations across Sussex. Over 400 knives were recovered from the bins and will now be destroyed.
In East Sussex over 15,000 students were reached through virtual assemblies and schools were encouraged to open up honest conversations about the dangers of knife possession and the legal and personal consequences of getting caught with one.
In Brighton a total of 19 arrests were made during the week. Two males - aged 17 and 19 - were arrested in Kings Road on 15 November for possession with intent to supply of a Class A drug. Searches found both to be in possession of a knife. They have been bailed while enquiries are ongoing.
In West Sussex officers made three arrests in connection with a robbery and seized over a hundred weapons during a warrant. They also visited the addresses of 12 people who imported weapons and asked them to hand them over, putting any necessary safeguarding in place.
Superintendent Stuart Hale said: "Operation Sceptre is an opportunity to discuss knife crime in an open and honest way. We want to send the message to young people that carrying a knife is dangerous and can have serious consequences.
"It is a misconception that carrying a knife makes you safer. Carrying a knife for protection is not a defence in law and even being caught with someone carrying can result in a sentence if you are caught.
“Whilst we did increase our activity during this week of action, our activity to combat knife crime is part of everyday policing.
"We have year-round operations to address knife crime including engaging with young people in schools, the launch of our knife crime engagement van and work with partners to ensure people are signposted to help at an early opportunity.
"We also work hard to target disrupt prolific offenders, through the Tactical Enforcement Unit and are intensifying our activities through days of action - which means individuals carrying knives are increasingly likely to be caught and prosecuted.
"This anti-knife week is also a crucial reminder that there is help out there for those who do not feel safe. We always have amnesty bins in police stations where you can drop off your dangerous and unwanted blades and we will continue to work with our partners to take positive action when knife crime occurs.”
Sussex Police and Crime Commissioner Katy Bourne said: “This is a great example of proactive and effective police work that has resulted in weapons being taken off our streets, offenders arrested and communities protected.”
If you need to talk to someone anonymously, Crimestoppers can be reached on 0800 555 111. As always, you can report online or via 101. In an emergency, always call 999.
Action Fraud launches new campaign to fight back against fraud this Christmas
Action Fraud’s #FraudFreeXmas campaign has launched today, with a stark warning about ‘too good to be true’ Black Friday deals. Figures reveal reports of online shopping fraud have surged by 30% over the pandemic as many of us continue to shop online in light of current restrictions.
Figures from Action Fraud show that criminals conned 17,405 shoppers out of almost £13.5 million over the Christmas period last year, an increase of over 20% when compared to the same period in 2018.
Action Fraud is warning the public to take extra care when shopping online, ahead of Black Friday and Cyber Monday, as shoppers search for bargains and gifts for loved ones in the run up to Christmas.
Pauline Smith, Head of Action Fraud, said:
“Christmas is an incredibly busy time for us all. Many shoppers get caught up in the excitement of Black Friday, so it can be easy to rush into making a quick purchase online to secure a bargain.
“Unfortunately, criminals will see this as an ideal opportunity to take advantage of shoppers and will tempt them with the promise of cheap deals.
“We advise that you’re cautious of where and who you’re buying from. Our figures show that most scams last year involved mobile phones and electronics, so always shop with official retailers and don’t be enticed by deals that seem too good to be true. Where possible, use a credit card when shopping online as this will offer you more protection if anything goes wrong.
“Follow our simple advice to enjoy shopping online safely and ensure you’re not left empty handed this Christmas.”
During Black Friday and Cyber Monday sale events last year (25th November 2019 – 8th December 2019), over £3 million was lost to criminals as shoppers reported buying mobile phones (15%), vehicles (9%) and electronics (8%), on sites such as Facebook, eBay and Gumtree, only to have the items never arrive.
Over half of victims were male (55%) aged 20 to 29 (19%) residing in cities including London, Birmingham, Manchester, Nottingham, Leeds and Bristol.
This year, Action Fraud will highlight a different type of fraud, and provide important protect advice, every week during December to prevent people from getting conned out of the Christmas they deserve, starting with online shopping and auction fraud ahead of Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
To protect yourself from falling victim to online shopping or auction fraud, remember the following:
Choosing where you shop: If you’re making a purchase from a website or person you don’t know and trust, carry out some research first. Look online for reviews of the website or person you’re buying from. If you’re purchasing an item from an online marketplace, you can view the seller’s feedback history before going ahead with the purchase.
Payment method: Use a payment method that offers buyer protection, such as a credit card if you have one, as most major credit card providers will help you get your money back if the item is faulty or damaged, or if it never arrives.
Staying secure online: Use a strong, separate password for your email account. Criminals can use your email to access other online accounts, such as those you use for online shopping. You should also enable two-factor authentication (2FA), where possible, which gives your online account additional protection by double checking that you really are the person you claim to be, when logging in. For further information about how to stay secure online, visit www.cyberaware.gov.uk.
Watch out for phishing emails or texts: Some of the emails or texts you receive about amazing offers may contain links to fake websites. If you’re unsure, don't use the link and visit the website directly instead. If you receive an email you’re not quite sure about, you can report it by forwarding the email to the Suspicious Email Reporting Service at email@example.com. You can report suspicious texts you have received by forwarding the original message to 7726, which spells SPAM on your keypad.
When things go wrong: Anyone can fall victim to fraud. If you think you’ve been a victim of fraud, contact your bank immediately and report it to Action Fraud online at actionfraud.police.uk or by calling 0300 123 2040.
In addition, the East Sussex Against Scams Partnership (ESASP) is a county-wide project helping to protect residents against scams and fraud by raising awareness with them about the different types of scams – for further information see the link https://www.safeineastsussex.org.uk/ESASP.html
A burglary occurred at a business premises on King Edwards Parade, on 17/11/2020, the suspect(s) entered the premises by forcing the locks to front door, fortunately no items were stolen from within (Ref: 47200198760)
A further burglary took place on Hampden Park Drive, on 19/11/2020, the suspect(s) attempted to gain entry by damaging a window, however did not managed to gain entry to the premises (Ref: 47200199149)
A burglary was committed on Blackwater Road, between 19/11/2020 – 20/11/2020 in which a garage was broken into and a bicycle stolen from inside, in addition to some tools (Ref: 47200200951)
Finally a burglary was committed on Edward Road, on 21/11/2020, the circumstances involved the suspect(s) climbing onto the roof of a premises and gaining entry via the room and stole items from inside (Ref: 47200201649) Help us keep Sussex safe
If you saw or heard anything, or have any information about any incident in this message please contact us online, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 101, quoting the reference number provided.
Alternatively you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111, or online at www.crimestoppers-uk.org Links and attachments: Sussex Police will only ever link you to secure Websites we trust. We will only send you attachments where we believe it is absolutely necessary.
Message sent by
Eastbourne, Lewes and Wealden team (Police, Prevention team, Sussex)