Thu 24 September 2020

Your Local Area

Enter your postcode to find Neighbourhood Watch schemes and crime statistics for your area

Horsham Weekly Bulletin

Alert message sent 15/09/2020 09:29:00

Information sent on behalf of Sussex Police


Tuesday 15th September 2020


Crime summary
Burglary – There are no burglary dwellings to report this week.
 
Burglary other than Dwelling
Reference: 0235 9th September
Location: Cousins Way, Pulborough  
Date and time: Between 2230hrs 8th September and 0600hrs 9th September
Details: A shed door was forced and tools were stolen.

Reference: 0267 9th September
Location: Glebelands, Pulborough
Date and time: Between 2000hrs 8th September and 0745hrs 9th September
Details: An attempt to enter a garage was made, no entry gained and nothing was stolen, however damage was caused to a van and tools were stolen.
 
News and appeals
Ex-teacher sentenced for sex offences at West Sussex School for third time

An ex-teacher has been sentenced for the third time for sex offences at a Sussex public school where he taught.
Peter John Howard Webb, 77, retired, was sentenced to 12 months imprisonment at Hove Crown Court on Wednesday 9 September, having been convicted after a three-day trial of three counts of indecent assault on a boy then aged between 11 and 12 at Christ’s Hospital School near Horsham in the early 1970s, while Webb was a teacher there and the boy was a pupil there.

This is another example of the way in which we will always follow up such reports, no matter how long ago the events are said to have occurred, to support victims and seek justice for them wherever possible.
If you have been a victim, or know of someone who has, there is no need to suffer in silence. Contact us at any time online or by calling 101, and arrange to talk in confidence to experienced investigators.
 
Sussex Police had full co-operation from management at the School during the investigation. Detectives emphasise that the events in this case occurred more than 45 years ago and have no relation to the current or recent management of the school and its pupils.
To read the full story, please click on the link or go to our website.
https://www.sussex.police.uk/news/sussex/news/court-results/ex-teacher-sentenced-for-sex-offences-at-west-sussex-school-for-third-time/

Police and bank branch staff in Sussex stop £816,917 of fraud in first half of 2020

£816,917 of fraud in Sussex was stopped by police and bank branch staff in the first half of 2020 through the Banking Protocol, figures have revealed.

The Banking Protocol is a UK-wide scheme that enables bank branch staff to alert their local police force when they suspect a customer is being scammed. Police will then visit the branch to investigate the suspected fraud and arrest any suspects still on the scene. The protocol has formed an important part of Operation Signature, Sussex Police’s campaign funded to identify and support vulnerable victims of fraud.  

Branch staff are trained to spot the warning signs that suggest someone may have fallen for one of these scams and make an emergency call to the police. 159 calls were made in the first six months of this year in Sussex through the scheme.

A range of scams that trick victims into withdrawing cash from their branch have been prevented through the scheme, including courier scams, romance fraud and rogue traders.
A 68-year-old man from Henfield was stopped by bank staff when he attempted to transfer £35,000 to a woman he met online and thought he was in a relationship with. He had been told the money would be used to enable the release of £13.5million in gold bullion and diamonds. Bank branch staff called police and prevented him losing his money as they suspected fraud. 

An 87-year-old woman in Midhurst received a call from a fraudster who identified herself as ‘Sue’. The suspect claimed to be from a bank working with the police to deal with fraud. She told the victim that £420 had been taken and told her to transfer her money to a different account and to tell staff it was her savings account. Bank staff noticed the name on the account was different so blocked the transaction and called police.
National data shows that customers helped through the Banking Protocol are typically aged over 65 while some were over 100 years old, demonstrating how these scams are often targeted towards the elderly and vulnerable.

“It’s vital that people always follow the advice of the Take Five to Stop Fraud campaign, and remember that a bank or the police will never ask you to transfer funds to another account or to withdraw cash to hand over to them for safe-keeping.”

For more information on this story please click on the link or go to our website and for information about Operation Signature and how to protect yourself from fraud, see the website here.
 
https://www.sussex.police.uk/news/sussex/news/force-news/police-and-bank-branch-staff-in-sussex-stop-816917-of-fraud-in-first-half-of-2020/

Campaign to stop young people carrying knives launches in Sussex

A campaign to tackle knife crime and serious violence in Sussex has launched yesterday (14 September). 

The multi-agency campaign aims to reduce and prevent knife-related violence in Sussex by educating young people on the legal and personal consequences of knife carrying.

The move to address the root causes of knife crime sees Sussex Police, local authorities and local community groups such as The Hangleton and Knoll Project and Make Good Trouble working together to share vital information with young people. 

They will share images and animations that will appear at busy locations around Sussex and close to schools to help raise awareness among young people of the dangers of carrying a knife.

A 17-year-old girl from Sussex, who wishes to remain anonymous, wants to warn others by telling how a dispute when she was 15 escalated and changed her life forever.

She said: “I don’t really know what I was thinking but I took a kitchen knife out with me and left my mum a note to say I was going to sort things out. I had no intention of using the knife but it made me feel safe knowing I had it.
“My mum had called the police as she was worried and I was later caught with the knife and arrested. I was given bail conditions and had to appear in court. I was given a 12 month court order. This will always be on my file now and because of this I will not be able to work with children like I always wanted to do.

“At the time I did these things I didn’t think about the future but now I am trying to move on. It’s very hard and that is for taking a knife out just once. Now I can see what a stupid mistake it was. Carrying a knife for whatever reason I certainly wouldn’t recommend. At the time it may seem a good idea but when you grow up or try to grow up it may be too late. The damage is done and I learnt the hard way.

“I am still young and have been through a lot the last couple of years but I’ve realised now what I did was wrong and if I can help someone by telling my story I will be happy.”

Chief Inspector Paul Phelps said: “Our priority is keeping young people safe from harm and ensuring they’re aware of the dangers of carrying a knife.
“It’s a huge misconception that carrying a knife for protection makes you safer. We are clear that carrying a knife puts you and those around you at a greater risk and we hope our campaign helps deliver this message to the young people who need it.

“Getting caught with a knife can change your life. Too many young people’s lives are affected by knife crime so we’re taking a stand against carrying these dangerous weapons and prevent young people from making decisions that could affect their futures. 

“Knife crime is a complex issue; and to create real long-lasting change it’s essential that we work together to help keep young people safe and knife free.”

Sussex Police & Crime Commissioner Katy Bourne said: “This campaign will raise awareness of the cost of carrying a knife and provides opportunities for young people to discuss what might motivate them to carry one in the first place.
“It is so important that real-life stories are shared with young people, so they can understand the life-changing consequences this could have on them.
“It is great to see Sussex Police being so proactive in their response to serious violence of this kind, putting early intervention methods in place to educate and protect our young people from getting caught up in criminality.
“The message is clear; lose the knife, not a life.”

As well as providing images and animations, information with signs to watch out for and where to get help will be shared with parents and carers.
Sussex Police will also be rolling out an educational video to be shown in schools, pupil referral units and children’s homes which shows the personal consequences of knife crime from the perspective of an officer, a medic, the parent of a victim and a reformed knife carrier.
Members of the public may have noticed an increased police presence as we up our ‘days of action’ and operational activity using funding from the Home Office to tackle serious violence. This includes knife sweeps, searches and the use of knife arches to prevent harmful weapons coming into our communities.

If you are under 18, you feel threatened, unsafe or scared about becoming a victim of knife crime you should try to talk with your parent or carer, or alternatively talk to Childline for help on 0800 1111 or go online at childline.org.uk.

If you are a parent or carer and you are concerned someone you care for is in danger of becoming a victim of knife crime, try to talk with them in the first instance or seek advice from Family Lives on 0808 800 22 22.
You can report knife crime online or by calling 101. In an emergency always call 999.
To report knife crime anonymously go to https://www.fearless.org/en/give-info
https://www.sussex.police.uk/news/sussex/news/force-news/campaign-to-stop-young-people-carrying-knives-launches-in-sussex2/

 
Man arrested after sexual assault on woman in Horsham

Police made an arrest less than an hour after a woman was sexually assaulted in a Horsham street.

At 2.30am on Saturday (12 September) the 21-year-old woman was walking through the alley between Boxall Walk and Goring's Mead, off Brighton Road in Horsham, when she was attacked from behind and sexually assaulted.
Her shouts and screams alerted local residents and deterred the man who ran off.
She sustained cuts and bruises, and is being supported by specially trained officers.
Police attended swiftly and searched the area, and at 3.25am officers arrested a man aged 21 nearby on suspicion of the assault.
After being interviewed the man was released on police bail until 7 October while enquiries continue.

Detective Constable Della Squires of the West Sussex Safeguarding Investigations Unit said: "If you saw anything suspicious in that area early on the Saturday morning, or if you have seen any apparently discarded items nearby that seem strange to the area, please contact us either online or by calling 101, quoting serial 195 of 12/09."
 
https://www.sussex.police.uk/news/sussex/news/witness-appeals/man-arrested-after-sexual-assault-on-woman-in-horsham/ 
 
Help us keep Sussex safe

If you saw or heard anything, or have any information about any incident in this message please contact us online, email us at 101@sussex.pnn.police.uk or call 101, quoting the reference number provided.

Alternatively you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111, or online at www.crimestoppers-uk.org

 

Links and attachments: Sussex Police will only ever link you to secure Websites we trust. We will only send you attachments where we believe it is absolutely necessary.
 
Message sent by
Janice Brown (Police, Prevention Support & Engagement Officer, Sussex)

Message tag words

Back to previous page
Click here to tweet this message to your followers

Discuss this alert message

Please see terms below before using this feature
Please be aware that the facility above is a Facebook service, posting your views will make some of your Facebook information visible to everyone (as with any Facebook activity).

The system administrators (VISAV Limited) monitor the content added. Any misuse or objectionable material should be reported to support@neighbourhoodalert.co.uk.

The views expressed do not represent the views of the system administrators who are VISAV Limited, the Police, Neighbourhood Watch and other Information Provider using this service.