Thu 02 July 2020

Your Local Area

Enter your postcode to find Neighbourhood Watch schemes and crime statistics for your area

Newsletter

Alert message sent 11/06/2020 15:17:00

Information sent on behalf of Sussex Police


11 June 2020


News and appeals


Appeal to find owners of suspected stolen items in Crawley



Police are trying to trace the owners of items thought to be stolen from garages in Crawley.
Officers were called at 1.24am on April 23 to reports of garages being broken into in Hillmead.
An angle grinder and a lawnmower were recovered nearby, but nobody has yet come forward to report them as stolen.
Anyone who recognises them, or who has any other information about the burglaries, is asked to contact police online or call 101 quoting serial 0089 of 23/04.
Three people - a 16-year-old boy, a 17-year-old boy and a 20-year-old man - were arrested on suspicion of burglary other than dwelling with intent to steal and attempted theft from a motor vehicle.
The 17-year-old boy was also arrested on suspicion of criminal damage. The 16-year-old boy and 20-year-old man were also arrested on suspicion of possession of a Class B drug (cannabis).
All three have been released under investigation while enquiries continue.


Man arrested on suspicion of possessing a knife in Crawley



A man has been arrested after police responded to reports of a person carrying knives in Crawley.
Officers were called to York Road shortly after 3pm on Wednesday (June 10) to reports of a man in the street armed with two knives.
The man was traced to Ashdown Road, where he was arrested on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon in a public place and threats to kill.
Inspector Jim Collen said: "Our officers were able to bring the incident to a safe and swift conclusion.
"We believe everyone involved in the matter was known to each other, and there was little risk to the wider public.”
The man has been taken into custody where he remains at this time. 





Crawley man given 15-year sentence for child sex offences



A Crawley man is starting a 15-year prison sentence for a series of sexual offences against a girl aged between 10 and 14.
Adam Arnold, 32, unemployed, of Webb Close, Crawley, was sentenced when he appeared by videolink at Hove Crown Court on Tuesday (9 June).
He had pleaded guilty at a previous hearing to four counts of rape and eight counts of other serious sexual assaults, all 11 covering multiple occasions.
He will also be a registered sex offender for life and was given a Sexual Harm Prevention Order (SHPO) to last until further court order, severely restricting his access to women and children.
Detective Constable Ellen Jones of the East Sussex Safeguarding Investigations Unit said; "Arnold came to know his victim, and five years ago began this horrific and systematic abuse which she suffered, unbeknown to anyone else, until she felt able to confide in someone she knew last year, and we were promptly informed. 
"We took immediate action and Arnold was arrested.
"This young girl had endured the trauma and distress of what happened to her, in secret, and we admire all the more her courage and resolution in now supporting both our investigation and the prosecution. 
"If you are a victim of sexual abuse, or know of someone else who is, no matter how recent or long ago, contact us at any time in confidence, and arrange to talk in confidence to experienced investigators. We have specialist officers who can also help you access to a range of independent advice and support."

For further information on how to report sexual abuse and support available see the Sussex Police website.


Man identified after Crawley assault appeal

A man sought in relation to an assault in Crawley has been identified.
Officers were called on Monday, May 18 to a report of an altercation in the car park behind KFC in High Street around 7pm.
The victim was taken to hospital for treatment, where it was confirmed he'd suffered a broken nose and a fractured eye socket.
An appeal was issued to try and identify a man police believe could help with the investigation. He has now been identified and is helping police with their enquiries.
Anyone who witnessed the incident or who may have any further information is asked to contact police online or call 101 quoting serial 1305 of 18/05.


Be wary of investment fraud scams in Sussex



Police are warning of investment fraud after a number of victims have lost money to scams. 
In May, police have recorded 20 cases of investment fraud where the victim is deemed vulnerable, resulting in a total loss of £1,208,864 in Sussex. 
The scams typically involve a fraudster pretending to be from an investment company, offering victims opportunities and claiming they're likely to profit from them. The victims then realised they have been scammed and report it to police.
The majority of victims have been contacted by telephone, but some were found on social media and others were looking for investments online.  
A woman in her 60s from Ferring received calls from men claiming to be from Blackrock Investment Company. 
She was persuaded by the fraudsters to invest and write a cheque for £75,000 that was collected by courier. This cheque did not go through, so the victim went into her bank and made a transfer of the same sum to an account. 
The victim reported to her bank and it is being investigated. Read more here.


"I would do it again" says Chief Constable Giles York on leaving after 30 years



On the last day of Chief Constable Giles York’s 30 years of police service, he reflected on his most rewarding career and said given the choice he would do it again.
“To anyone joining the force I can say you will have a fantastic career ahead of you wherever you choose to take it.” he said. “Policing comes with two health warnings. We do put ourselves in the way of harm, however Sussex Police is well equipped to look after you physically and mentally when this occurs; and policing is an addiction; it is a difficult passion to let go of.
“A friend called Richard Ing left Durham University the year before me and joined the Metropolitan Police. When he talked to me about his work, he said “I cannot wait to get back to work on Monday…” I am so grateful to him for that insight and I still feel like that today.”
Giles, who is married with three children, joined Sussex Police in 2008 as Deputy Chief Constable. He was promoted to Chief Constable in 2014 and was awarded QPM for services to policing in 2015. He started his career in Kent Police in 1990 before going on to become an Assistant Chief Constable with South Wales Police in 2005.  Read more here.






 
 

Help us keep Sussex safe

If you saw or heard anything, or have any information about any incident in this message please contact us online, email us at 101@sussex.pnn.police.uk or call 101, quoting the reference number provided.

Alternatively you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111, or online at www.crimestoppers-uk.org

 

Links and attachments: Sussex Police will only ever link you to secure Websites we trust. We will only send you attachments where we believe it is absolutely necessary.
 
Message sent by
Anna Habdas (Police, Prevention Support and Engagement Officer, Sussex)

Message tag words

Back to previous page
Click here to tweet this message to your followers

Discuss this alert message

Please see terms below before using this feature
Please be aware that the facility above is a Facebook service, posting your views will make some of your Facebook information visible to everyone (as with any Facebook activity).

The system administrators (VISAV Limited) monitor the content added. Any misuse or objectionable material should be reported to support@neighbourhoodalert.co.uk.

The views expressed do not represent the views of the system administrators who are VISAV Limited, the Police, Neighbourhood Watch and other Information Provider using this service.