Sat 15 August 2020

Your Local Area

Enter your postcode to find Neighbourhood Watch schemes and crime statistics for your area

Eastbourne Weekly Update

Alert message sent 07/05/2020 11:14:00

Information sent on behalf of Sussex Police


Thursday, 7 May 2020
 

News and appeals


 

Police continue to search for wanted Eastbourne man


Police in Eastbourne are continuing to search for wanted man Alex Evans.

Evans, 27, is wanted in relation to attacks on several people outside Cameo nightclub in Langney Road, Eastbourne, in the early hours of Saturday, March 7.

Three men aged 18, 20 and 27, and a woman aged 18, were assaulted by a man around 3.15am. Two of the men were taken to hospital for treatment, where the 20-year-old victim was found to have suffered a fractured jaw.

Evans is described as white, of slim build, and about 5' 7". He has dark brown hair and various distinctive tattoos on his neck and ears, including tribal designs and a spider web.

Evans is local to the Eastbourne area but his last known whereabouts was in the Inverness area of Scotland. It is thought he has made his way back to the UK since then.

Detective Constable Paul Kelly said: "We also want to speak to anyone who was in the area of the nightclub, perhaps leaving or standing outside at the time.

"If you have seen Alex Evans or know where he is, or if you have any other information as to his whereabouts, please contact us online or call 101, quoting serial 177 of 07/03.

"You can also contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111."


 

Sussex Police maintain focus on domestic abuse


Sussex Police have introduced new initiatives to encourage the reporting of domestic abuse and support victims, an issue which remains a priority for the force at this crucial time. 

A new specialist unit, the Local Resolution Team, can deal by appointment with any cases that are not immediately urgent, including a new video appointment service when conversations can’t take place face to face. 

The 30-strong team of specially trained officers are dedicated to dealing with reports of domestic abuse which are not immediately urgent. They discuss the incident with the caller, carry out an initial investigation and provide safeguarding advice, to leave the victim feeling safer than before and to explore available investigative opportunities to prosecute those responsible for domestic abuse.

Detective Superintendent Steve Rayland of the force's Public Protection Command said; "Our preference is to see someone face to face in private at a police station. However, we recognise that current restrictions such as vulnerable categories, self-isolation, or travel, will not be able to attend so the force has new video conferencing technology.
"The officers obtain a safe contact number and send a one time text message to the caller's smartphone. Activating this link puts the caller in to a virtual waiting room where one of our officers will be able to see and talk to them so that an investigation can take place."

Part of the safeguarding advice includes referrals to independent support agencies such as Rise and Worth Services.

Afterwards, the caller is told to delete the text, which is disguised in the first place to hide any links with the police. 

New dedicated ‘Domestic Abuse’ cars across Sussex are also responding to reports where there is not an immediate threat, in addition to emergency response officers who always respond immediately to high risk incidents.These additional mobile resources are equipped with body worn video and respond in marked cars to reports of domestic abuse, with time to listen and deal thoroughly with the allegations.

The force is also carrying out domestic abuse awareness publicity at local supermarkets, with high profile signage at entrances and take-away information, complementing an online campaign. Even though our social media pages are already reaching out those affected by domestic abuse, we recognise that not everyone has access to the Internet, and some may have their access controlled. 

So police officers and PCSOs are visiting supermarkets to raise awareness of domestic abuse and let people know that despite what is going on right now the police are still here, will still respond if you need help, and will arrest and prosecute. Lockdown hasn’t changed our focus on domestic abuse, it is still a priority and if you are suffering from domestic abuse we urge you to call us or speak to an officer.

Steve Rayland said; "We are adapting to ensure we can support people at risk and find them a safe space. 

"It’s really important people know that alongside these new initiatives we continue to respond to domestic abuse as normal, arresting perpetrators and protecting vulnerable people.

"No matter what is going on around us there is no excuse for domestic abuse it simple isn’t acceptable. The police priority hasn’t changed if you are victim of domestic abuse I would urge you to make contact with us so that we can help."

Katy Bourne, Sussex Police and Crime Commissioner said; “We may be in lockdown but we must not feel locked out. It’s now more important than ever that people who feel threatened and vulnerable have someone they can reach out to, who will listen and help them. 

“I’m pleased that, following the extra investment into Sussex Police this year, we are able to put in place these innovative measures to safeguard victims at a time when it can be incredibly difficult for them to safely reach out for help.

“We are all going the extra mile during this crisis to ensure that people do not feel they have to suffer in silence.”

If you're a victim of domestic abuse, or know someone who is, and there's an emergency that's ongoing or life is in danger, call police on 999. 

If you can’t talk because the perpetrator is nearby, you can then press the numbers ‘55’ into your mobile phone which will alert the operator to your situation.

The Sussex Safe Space website  also provides a valuable directory of help and support from all agencies, available near you.

Identity appeal after boy bitten by dog in Eastbourne


Officers investigating a report of a seven-year-old boy being bitten by a dog in Eastbourne are appealing to identify this man. 

Around 12.30pm on Friday, 21 February, police received report that the victim was shopping with his mother on Langney Road when a greyhound dog nipped his ear, causing a puncture wound.  

It is thought the man pictured may be able to assist with enquiries and officers are keen to speak with him. 

Anyone with information is asked to report online or call 101, quoting 47200032565.


 

Police Reunite NHS Worker with Bicycle


On 5th May Police received a call reporting that a member of NHS staff had their bike stolen from their garden. The bike was the NHS workers transport to commute to the hospital.

Members of the public also reported to having some CCTV which may have been linked to the theft. The local Policing team viewed the CCTV and completed further enquiries to try and identify the thieves.

On the morning of 6th May Police recovered the stolen bike and returned it to the owner.
The owner was very grateful to get their bike back.


 

Reopening of Household Waste Recycling Centres


Government guidance is expected shortly on the reopening of household waste recycling sites.

These visits will only be for residents who absolutely need to dispose of waste and there may be limits on what is accepted.

It’s best to check your County Council website for the latest info. https://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/

There are 23 sites across Sussex. When they do reopen, please consider whether your journey is essential and only visit a local tip if your waste or recycling cannot be added to your kerbside collection and may present a risk of injury or harm to health.

Otherwise, please safely store your items at home for now or make other legal arrangements for it to be removed.
 
Crime summary

We have had a number of burglaries to business premises this week. If you own a business premises you can find some helpful crime prevention advice on our website at www.sussex.police.uk and go to the advice section.

There has been one burglary to a residential premises, on 05/05/2020, on Summerdown Road, whereby a garage was broken into and bicycles were stolen from within (Ref: 47200074657)
 
Help us keep Sussex safe

If you saw or heard anything, or have any information about any incident in this message please contact us online, email us at 101@sussex.pnn.police.uk or call 101, quoting the reference number provided.

Alternatively you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111, or online at www.crimestoppers-uk.org
 

Links and attachments: Sussex Police will only ever link you to secure Websites we trust. We will only send you attachments where we believe it is absolutely necessary.
 

 
Message sent by
Eastbourne, Lewes and Wealden team (Police, Prevention team, Sussex)

Message tag words

Back to previous page
Click here to tweet this message to your followers

Discuss this alert message

Please see terms below before using this feature
Please be aware that the facility above is a Facebook service, posting your views will make some of your Facebook information visible to everyone (as with any Facebook activity).

The system administrators (VISAV Limited) monitor the content added. Any misuse or objectionable material should be reported to support@neighbourhoodalert.co.uk.

The views expressed do not represent the views of the system administrators who are VISAV Limited, the Police, Neighbourhood Watch and other Information Provider using this service.