Enter your postcode to find Neighbourhood Watch schemes and crime statistics for your area
Crawley Weekly News Letter
Alert message sent 18/12/2019 12:31:00
Information sent on behalf of Sussex Police
18th December 2019
Crawley man jailed for drug and driving offences
A man has been jailed for five years for drug and driving offences.
Vikesh Patel, 28, of Town Mead, Crawley, was found guilty of eight separate offences including driving while being disqualified, possession of Class A drugs with intent to supply and possession of an offensive weapon.
Patel was spotted by plain clothes officers driving a car near Peglar Way, Crawley, on 22 October despite having a driving ban. Officers followed the vehicle until it stopped in Town Barn Road and Patel was arrested when he exited the vehicle.
Officers conducted a person search and inside a bag Patel was carrying were four packages of cocaine, a small bag of cannabis, three burner-style phones and a metal bat was also discovered in the vehicle.
Patel was arrested and charged for five offences and remanded in custody. During a police interview when questioned about his possession, Patel claimed he had left his bag at a friend’s house.
The mechanic stood trial on November 21 for the charges of possession with intent to supply a class A drug, possession of a class B drug, possession of an offensive weapon, driving while disqualified and driving without insurance.
He also stood trial for the charges of possession of a Class A drug, possession of a Class B drug with intent to supply and possession of criminal property in relation to a previous incident.
Patel was found guilty and given a total of five years in prison.
Detective Constable Simon Goulding said: “Patel showed complete disregard for his driving ban and he thought we wouldn’t find out he was back behind the wheel. On top of this, Patel was using a vehicle to enable him to sell drugs in the community.
“This behaviour is completely unacceptable and we are dedicated to tackling this behaviour and stamping it out in our communities.
“We welcome the sentence Patel has been given by the courts and hope this provides a stark warning to anyone else involved in drugs that you will be caught.”
A 28-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the supply of cocaine and possession of an offensive weapon. He has been released under investigation.
Police set to launch Christmas crackdown on drink and drug-drivers
Jingle bells, here’s our cells, open every day; if you drive with drink or drugs, you’ll soon be on your way.
This is the message being issued as Surrey Police and Sussex Police prepare to launch their 2019 Christmas crackdown on drink and drug-drivers.
Increased patrols and stop checks will be carried out throughout this month, when there tends to be more social occasions which could result in motorists driving under the influence.
But while we ho-ho-hope you have fun this festive season, we can assure you driving with drink or drugs in your system is no laughing matter.
A total of 1,003 people were killed or seriously injured in road traffic collisions in Sussex last year, 74 of which involved a drink-driver (statistics from the Sussex Safer Roads Partnership).
In the 12 months to November 2019, a total of 696 people were killed or seriously injured in road traffic collisions in Surrey (alcohol-related incidents unknown at time of publication).
Chief Inspector Michael Hodder, of the Surrey and Sussex Roads Policing Unit, said: “Christmas is typically considered a time of ‘giving’ and ‘sharing’. But don’t give us an excuse to arrest you, and don’t let us share the bad news with your loved ones if you’re involved in a collision.
“This campaign is all about education and enforcement. Our main aims are to save lives by deterring people from drink and drug-driving, and to deal robustly with offenders. As such, we will continue to publicise the names of those convicted as part of the campaign.”
The crackdown runs from Wednesday 18 December 2019 to Wednesday 1 January 2020 inclusive, in line with guidance from the National Police Chief’s Council. However, this will be in addition to our routine daily policing.
New site for free counter terrorism awareness training
An award-winning counter terrorism training course is being made available to the public across the country for the first time and Sussex Police want you to sign up and help protect the UK.
Devised by Counter-Terrorist officers and security experts, the ACT Awareness eLearning package was previously only available to staff working in crowded places like shopping centres and entertainment venues.
Now Counter Terrorism Policing has decided to open up the training to anyone who wants to become a CT Citizen so they can learn how to spot the signs of suspicious behaviour and understand what to do in the event of a major incident.
The programme was originally devised in partnership with retail giant Marks and Spencer - and participants needed to be signed up by their employers.
Now the online learning is available free of charge to anyone who wants to take part.
The decision to offer the training to the public was not made in response to the recent attack in London. However, the tragic events which took place just 10 days ago, when two people lost their lives to terrorism, were a stark reminder of the ongoing threat and the need for vigilance
Sussex Police launches new Tactical Enforcement Unit
A new proactive police unit which will help make Sussex a “hostile environment” for dangerous and persistent criminals targeting the county has already made its first arrest on its first day.
The Tactical Enforcement Unit will be dedicated to capturing some of Sussex’s most wanted and prolific offenders, including those involved in serious violence, organised crime and county lines drugs gangs.
The team, made up of officers with specialist skills in proactive policing, will carry out targeted disruption, enforcement and patrol activities wherever it is most needed.
One initial central team made up of eight PCs, a sergeant and led by an inspector, will grow to form three geographically-based enforcement teams, one each based in East Sussex, West Sussex and Brighton and Hove, by April 2020.
It carried out its first operation on Monday (16 December) on its first day in action at an address in East Street, Seaford, where 56-year-old Stephen Mcateer, who has been charged with importing 23 kilos of heroin in France was arrested on suspicion of breaching his court conditions. He was later remanded in custody to reappear at City of London Magistrates Court.
Deputy Chief Constable Jo Shiner said: "We want Sussex to be a hostile environment for criminals and especially those involved in serious violence and targeting vulnerable people across our county, whether through county lines drugs gangs or other organised crime
Surrey and Sussex Police December 2019 Fraud Letter can be found here by clicking on this link.
Help us keep Sussex safe
If you saw or heard anything, or have any information about any incident in this message please contact us online, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 101, quoting the reference number provided.
Alternatively you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111, or online at www.crimestoppers-uk.org
Links and attachments: Sussex Police will only ever link you to secure Websites we trust. We will only send you attachments where we believe it is absolutely necessary.
Message sent by
Chloe Harvey (Police, Prevention Support & Engagement Officer, Sussex)