Enter your postcode to find Neighbourhood Watch schemes and crime statistics for your area
Eastbourne Police Weekly News and Alerts
Alert message sent 20/09/2019 19:02:00
Information sent on behalf of Sussex Police
Friday 20th September 2019
News and appeals
Eastbourne teenager Saho Singhateh found safe and well
Eastbourne teenager Saho Singhateh, reported missing since Wednesday 11 September, has been found safe and well.
The 14-year-old was located in St Leonards on Sunday 15 September.
£20,000 jewellery stolen in Eastbourne burglary
Police are seeking witnesses after a house was burgled in Eastbourne.
Between 2pm and 4.30pm on Tuesday (10 September) the house in Cade Street, Eastbourne was broken into while the occupants were out, and some £20,000 of gold jewellery was stolen together with a small amount of cash and an Ipad.
PC Amy Selby said; "If you were in the area that afternoon and saw anything suspicious around Cade Street or Midhurst Road, please get in touch with us, either online or by calling 101, quoting serial 941 of 10/09.
"Cade Street is on a busy bus route so people may have seen something while travelling by."
Detectives launch Crimewatch Roadshow appeal into double fatal house fire
Detectives have launched a nationwide appeal with BBC’s Crimewatch Roadshow into a deliberate house fire which claimed the lives of two people.
Gina Ingles, 34, and her son Milo Ingles-Bailey, 4, were tragically killed in the blaze in Croxden Way, Eastbourne, which occurred just before 1.00am on Tuesday 10 July, 2018.
Gina’s partner Toby Jarrett, 27, was also in the house at the time of the fire, but managed to escape through a first floor window. He sustained serious burn injuries and was taken to hospital for treatment. He has since been discharged.
Sussex Police has issued numerous appeals for information as the investigation continues, and detectives are now seeking the help of the public via national television.
The Crimewatch Roadshow programme was aired on BBC One on Monday 16 September from 9.15am to 10am.
Further to this, the victims’ family have directly appealed to the public to come forward with any new information. You can watch the video online here.
The officer leading the investigation, Detective Chief Inspector Mike Ashcroft, said: “In the past 14 months we have spoken to a number of people and followed up multiple lines of enquiry, and we will continue to investigate any new information which comes to light. We have made some significant progress during this time and I am as convinced today as I was in July of last year that someone knows who is guilty of this terrible crime. Do the right thing and tell the police what you know.
“We continue to be extremely grateful to the local community for their continued support and co-operation, and I would personally like to thank everyone who has come forward with any information to this date.
“However, we remain just as determined now as we were in July 2018 to locate the person – or people – responsible for this horrific offence and bring them to justice. This deliberate criminal act claimed the lives of a mother and her young son, and has severely affected the life of another man.”
Specifically, detectives are keen to locate two people seen in this CCTV footage, who may hold vital information about the fire.
Two local men, aged 47 and 23, were arrested on suspicion of two counts of murder and one of attempted murder – the 23-year-old remains released under investigation pending further enquiries; the 47-year-old was released without charge and will face no further action.
Anyone with any information is urged to report it online or call 101, quoting Operation Druffield.
You can also contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or report it online.
Police investigating burglary at Eastbourne bike store
Police are investigating the theft of three bikes from The Tri Store in Grove Road, Eastbourne, about 2.15am on Tuesday 3 September.
The suspects used a sledgehammer to smash their way into the premises and steal the bikes – one of which has since been recovered.
Officers arrived at the scene, and a man seen in possession of a brand new bike was spotted nearby and arrested in connection with the incident.
The other two bikes remain outstanding at this stage.
Police are appealing for anyone who saw what happened, or anyone with CCTV which may have captured the incident, to report it online or call 101, quoting serial 155 of 03/09.
Specifically, police are urging anyone who saw three men in dark clothing or anyone cycling in the area around that time, to come forward.
A 32-year-old man from Newhaven, arrested on suspicion of burglary, has been released under investigation pending further enquiries.
Operation Sceptre - targeting knives and knife crime in Sussex
The campaign to take and keep knives off Sussex streets continues with a second specific focused week of activities.
Operation Sceptre running between September 16-20, supports the work Sussex Police carry out all year round to ensure residents are safe from knife crime in their communities.
Originally started by the Metropolitan Police Service, Operation Sceptre is a twice-yearly run campaign that aims to tackle the danger that knife crime poses by educating those most at risk and carrying out proactive work that takes knives off our streets.
Inspector Simon Burroughs said: “We are keenly aware of how much focus there is on knife crime at the moment and in recent weeks, we have had incidents that have led to people being injured, sometimes seriously. We now need everyone to help in keeping our county safe.
“Operation Sceptre gives us a chance to talk about knife crime in a realistic and open fashion: we want to give young people the chance to stay safe, we do not want to demonise them. It is imperative we remind them they have choices in life, and that help is out there if they do not feel safe.
“Talk to the young people in your life, drop off your dangerous and unwanted blades to our knife amnesty bins and if you need to talk to someone anonymously, Crimestoppers can be reached on 0800 555 111. As always, you can report crime online or via 101. In an emergency, always call 999.”
Already this week, Prevention Officers from Eastbourne Prevention team have been visiting schools and colleges to speak to groups of young adults about the danger of carrying a knife, and the consequences it can have on not only them, their friends and families.
These talks will continue and be extended to after school/youth groups across the district in the coming weeks.
As well as the educational side, targeted patrols will take place across the county, including at transport hubs with officers working alongside British Transport Police colleagues. Other prioritised activity includes target stop and search, particularly against known habitual knife carriers, and test purchase operations.
There is also a knife amnesty where people are encouraged to drop off their dangerous or unwanted knives and blades at police stations across Sussex. These amnesty bins are in place all year round, and there will be no consequences if weapons are disposed of safely here.
Knife amnesty bins are located at Eastbourne Front office, 1 Grove Road. Opening hours are Monday to Saturday from 0900-1700.
Test purchasing will be carried out throughout Sussex, where officers, PCSOs and cadets will mystery shop to see which premises allow them to buy knives without their age being asked for.
Also this week we have been joined by teams of volunteers from within the community to conduct knife sweeps and searches in local public spaces, areas including parks and large grounds across the Eastbourne District.
The week is being supported by Sussex Police and Crime Commissioner Katy Bourne. She said: “Getting killed, having life changing injuries or a prison sentence because of knife crime are not choices anybody would rationally make. However, we are still seeing far too many young people putting themselves at risk by carrying a knife.
“This is why our Reboot programme is working across Sussex to tackle serious violence at its earliest stages and is already providing invaluable support to nearly 400 vulnerable young people.
“As part of this we are educating them on the dangers of criminality and how to recognise when they are being exploited. By doing so, I hope to stop young people having their lives ruined by knife crime or any other form of criminality.”
Sussex Police is preparing for a busy few days ahead, with the arrival of the annual Labour Party conference in Brighton and Hove.
Please bear in mind if you are planning to visit the City this coming weekend.
Prior to the start of the conference on Saturday, a global climate strike protest will take place on Friday (September 20), moving off from Hove Lawns at 11am, heading via Western Road and North Street to a meeting at The Level.
There are a number of planned events outside of the conference venue during the five days of the event and police have advised that there may be some disruption at times along the seafront and other locations in the city. However, there are no planned road closures other than the small crescent in front of the Grand Hotel.
The planning for Operation Otter by Sussex Police and Brighton and Hove City Council in liaison with the Labour Party and the Home Office, has been underway for the past year. It seeks to ensure the safety and security of those attending as well as other attendees, residents and visitors in Brighton and Hove.
In advance of and during the conference, uniformed and plain-clothes officers are out and about undertaking Project Servator, similar activity to what goes on at Gatwick Airport and other locations encouraging people who live and work in the area to be ‘eyes and ears’. This is aimed at disrupting a range of criminal activity, including terrorism. There is nothing to suggest an increased risk, but we would urge people to remain alert and let us know of anything that raises their suspicions – at all times.
Armed officers, now a routine part of daily policing operations, will be deployed and police will again be making use of other safety measures such as road barriers in some parts of the city.
Superintendent Jane Derrick said: “As always, we ask that people demonstrate a certain level of personal responsibility including things like taking care of belongings, following personal safety advice and flagging any issues or suspicious behaviour to event staff or police.
“Disruption is being kept to a minimum with city centre car parks open as usual and fencing at the front of the Brighton Centre placed to enable people to walk by without having to cross the road. The only planned road closure will be the crescent in front of the Grand Hotel.
“Passes and a search will be a condition of entry to the Brighton Centre and people elsewhere may be stopped as part of the overall policing response with several hundred fringe events planned in the city.
“You will see more officers in the area in the lead up to and throughout the conference. Please talk to them if you have any questions. Policing levels for the city and the rest of Sussex will not be affected by the operation.”
Contact handler recruitment CLOSES SUNDAY
Our contact officer recruitment is closing this weekend, could you be the first voice of Sussex Police in responding to both 999 and 101 calls?
When the going gets tough, contact officers are there to help. Whether it’s taking a report of a missing person, responding to a burglary or supporting someone in crisis; our contact officers play a vital role in helping keep our communities safe, identifying and protecting the most vulnerable and preventing harm.
For many people, you’ll be the first point of contact with the police. You’ll be a calm, reassuring voice in people’s hour of need. Asking the right questions, listening for vital details and recording information; all while monitoring two screens.
Being a contact officer is certainly not your typical nine-to five call centre role; no two calls are the same. You will deal with emergency 999 calls, non-emergency 101 calls, online reporting and social media. In return, we promise you a good starting salary, plus an unsocial shift allowance, great training experiences, opportunities for progression and the pride that comes from helping others.
We would encourage candidates to visit our website, to browse our FAQs and either book a tour online to visit the contact centre to assist you in your application.
In the evening hours of the 12th September, a school off Seaside Road, Eastbourne was broken into whereby suspects have entered the school and stolen electric devices. (1468 ref 12/09 relates)
A communal door at a property off Seaside Road, Eastbourne reported a forced entry burglary in the evening of the 17th September. Entry was gained but fortunately nothing was stolen (1468 of 17/09 relates)
Overnight on the 18th September, a property off Goudhurst Road, Eastbourne reported having personal items stolen from their porch. (0906 of 18/09 relates)
If you saw or heard anything, or have any information about any incident in this message please contact us online, email us at email@example.com or call 101.
Alternatively you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111, or online.
You can also visit our website at www.sussex.police.uk where you can find our easy to use online forms to report all non-emergencies to us.
You can also find police advice to keep you safe and help you understand the law, and also browse our crime prevention pages for first-hand knowledge, industry best practices and practical crime prevention advice from officers and specialist teams all across the police.
Have you ever had a policing question that doesn't actually require direct police involvement to answer?
Ask the Police is a great online source of information for the most frequently asked policing questions, visit www.askthe.police.uk/ for more information.
Your local team
Follow your local Police team on social media, click below: