Wed 20 June 2018

Your Local Area

Enter your postcode to find Neighbourhood Watch schemes and crime statistics for your area

Lewes Weekly Update

Alert message sent 02/03/2018 13:30:00

Information sent on behalf of Sussex Police

Friday, 2nd March 2018

News and appeals

From a safe distance, anti-social behaviour (ASB) might not seem serious. But if it's your home or your street, it can leave you feeling intimidated, angry and frightened. It can ruin lives and make whole areas feel unsafe.

Anti-social behaviour almost always starts off small. Over time, the little incidents add up. The behaviour gets more serious. Things that were just a nuisance to begin with can become threatening or dangerous.

Anti-social behaviour includes:

  • Threatening or 'yobbish' behaviour.
  • Gangs 'hanging around'.
  • Abusive, rowdy or noisy neighbours.
  • People buying or selling drugs.
  • Drinking in the street, aggressive begging.
  • Night time noise from houses or gardens.
  • Setting off fireworks late at night.
  • Graffiti and fly-posting.
  • Vandalism.
  • Cars abandoned on the street.
  • Litter and fly-tipping.
  • Any other behaviour that disturbs or scares you.

Some of these may be one-off events; others may happen repeatedly, so the effects add up over time.

Examples of behaviours that are generally not considered anti-social include children playing, everyday noise from washing machines and lawn mowers, and noise from DIY projects (unless they are carried out at an unreasonable time of night or day).

There are many ways that Sussex residents can support their communities and help reduce anti-social behaviour:

  • Join your local Neighbourhood Watch scheme or a tenants' or residents' association.
  • Attend a monthly meeting with your Neighbourhood Policing Team.
  • Discuss any issues with your local councillor, who can act on your behalf to raise concerns with the council and other organisations.
  • If the anti-social behaviour is noise related then please contact your local Environmental health department.
  • If your neighbours are private tenants then report the nuisance problem to the letting agent. They may be able to help you as often the tenancy agreement states that they must not cause a nuisance to neighbours.
  • If your neighbours are council or housing associate tenants then report the nuisance problem to the council or relevant organisation as they may be able to help.
  • Make use of our Op Blitz service every Friday and Saturday night our Officers are contactable via their own mobile number in order to target anti - social behaviour in hotspot areas.

Crime summary

No burglaries to report this week

Help us keep Sussex safe

If you saw or heard anything, or have any information about any incident in this message please contact us online, email us at or call 101, quoting the reference number provided.

Alternatively you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111, or online at

Your local teams

Visit our Website to contact your local team, view local news and follow our social media accounts. Simply type your post code in the 'Find a Local Area' box located in the top right of the web page.


Links and attachments: Sussex Police will only ever link you to secure Websites we trust. We will only send you attachments where we believe it is absolutely necessary.
Message sent by
Megan Hall (Police, Prevention Support and Engagement Officer, Sussex)

Message tag words

Back to previous page
Click here to tweet this message to your followers

Discuss this alert message

Please see terms below before using this feature
Please be aware that the facility above is a Facebook service, posting your views will make some of your Facebook information visible to everyone (as with any Facebook activity).

The system administrators (VISAV Limited) monitor the content added. Any misuse or objectionable material should be reported to

The views expressed do not represent the views of the system administrators who are VISAV Limited, the Police, Neighbourhood Watch and other Information Provider using this service.